version 2.0 (February 1998)
Files & Resources
An Unofficial Resource for Players of
Darklands, by MicroProse
The Darklands FAQ is:
Copyright © 1995, 1996, 1998
(except for quoted material, as indicated)
Specifically for version 483.07 of Darklands
Program and Demos-- See: FAQ, section 2, "Technobabble". --
- Darklands Demo, Disk #1 (of 2; 754Kb)
- Darklands Demo, Disk #2 (of 2; 605Kb)
- For getting Darklands on CD-ROM, the Darklands Domain recommends:
See also: The Darklands FAQ,
The Ultimate Darklands
(The Ultimate Darklands is not directly affiliated with the Darklands Domain or the Darklands FAQ. This information is presented strictly as a service to the game-playing community at-large.)
Section One "Before We Begin :: Where Do I Find Darklands Now?"
Program Patches-- See: FAQ, section 2, "Technobabble". --
- Darklands patch: version .04 to .06 (812Kb)
- Darklands patch: version .05/.051 to .06 (831Kb)
- Darklands patch: any version to .06 (1,214Kb)
- Darklands patch: version .06 to .07 (614Kb)
- Darklands patch: Roland Sound (107Kb), and textfile (1Kb).
- Latest Darklands Install Utility (...a better mousetrap!)
- English version (94K)
- German version (94K)
- These versions allow your Darklands setup files to reside in a single directory on your harddrive, CD-ROM, or any other mass-storage device.
- Download the desired version, decompress with an UnZIP utility, and copy to the appropriate setup directory.
- Be certain that all of the DARKLAND.00x files, as well as MPSLABS.IDX, are also present in the setup directory.
- Run INSTALL.EXE.
- When prompted for location of the setup disks (normally <A:> or <B:>), instead select <Other>.
- For support, contact the Webmaster.
Utilities, Editors, Cheats, and Aides-- See: FAQ, section 2, "Technobabble". --
- Darklands Clue Book Bonus Disk, published by MPS Labs (74Kb)(ArtGllry), Jukebox(Jukebox), and Character Editor(Editor)
... includes Art Gallery
- A Collection of Utilities for Darklands by Steven J. Cotellesse:
(You can also find Steven's DKED and DKQUE on the CD-ROM version of Darklands, published by SWTI, 1995.)
- Darklands Editor 1.0 (DKED, 60Kb)
- Darklands Editor 1.1 (DLED, 70Kb)
(... Steve provides his editor's source-code, with comments!)
- Michael Petzold's NEW! DLQ Darklands Quest Lister v.1.1 (208KB)
. . . View the README file: "DLQ.txt" (5kb)
- Based on Steven's DKQW utility, this is a completely new and revised version.
- As a bonus, it integrates DkSort.
- DLQ is a Win32 program
...and uses the Borland C++ 5.0 Windows Runtime Libraries (included).
- DLQ includes the GPL license and source code.
- The Darklands Saved Games Sorter utility for DOS (19K)
new version now comes with...
- The NEW! Saved Games Sorter for Windows 95/98 (DkSortW, 53K)
. . . modified and recompiled by Michael Petzold
View the README file: "DKSort.txt" (2kb) (... sorter's source-code is provided!)
To the best of my knowledge, the so-called Darklands Trainer is a myth!
I have seen more than several major game portal sites around the Web list this utility, but every time they turn out to be merely one of two early versions of Steven's
Darklands Quest Lister.
The Darklands Monetary Converter 1.1 for Win9x(6Kb)
-- by Jerry "Deth-B0y" Kelly.
Requires Microsoft Visual BASIC 4.0 Runtime Library (VB40032.DLL) ...
You can view the README now(!), to preview the app.
A Collection of Web-based Shockwave Tools by Savcho Savchev:
In a word, these apps are "Slick!" A must-see. Browser must support Macromedia Shockwave Flash!
Includes Map, Saints, and Alchemy Tools. You can download them seperately in the links below...
- Darklands Web Tool: DKTools.zip. (1.32Mb)
- Darklands Map Locator and Info Tool: DKMap.zip. (376Kb)
- Darklands Saints Information Tool: DKSaints.zip. (567Kb)
- Darklands Alchemy Information Tool: DKAlch.zip. (363Kb)
- Read the DKTools ReadMe text file.
Darklands Adventure Worksheets: DkNotes.zip. (20Kb)
Use these worksheets by David and Ally Stallard to track the City and Alchemical resources you discover on your adventures
throughout the Holy Roman Empire. Includes 2 MS-Word 7.0 files: DkTowns.doc and DkPotion.doc. View the ReadMe for more info.
UGE The Universal Game Editor Darklands module (15Kb)See the UGE doc, and the module's README.TXT and DARKLAND.LST, for a functional description.
Get the Universal Game Editor from author Jack Hartman's homepage.
The Alchemical Symbols code-sheet in GIF-file format. (19Kb)Intended *only* for CD-ROM owners of Darklands for whom a code-sheet was *not* included!
... see also: the "PDF" formatted Code Sheet listed in section six of the FAQ, or the link listed below.
Files from the FAQ-- As cited in section six. --
File Type: ASCii TeXT
- The Darklands FAQ (founded July 1995) versions are listed in chronologically descending order:
version 1.21(Dated October, 1996) Dl121-as.txt
- DLFAQ version 1.1
(Dated November, 1995) drklnd11.txt
-n/a- -n/a- -n/a-
- DLFAQ version 1.0
(Dated October, 1995) darkland.txt
-n/a- -n/a- -n/a-
- Current Darklands FAQ is version 2.00 (Dated February, 1998):
USA Site German Site
- Other files included with the Darklands FAQ:
- DL Items List & Info
(compiled by C.Michel Boucher) darklist.txt
-n/a- -n/a- -n/a-
- DL River Basins & Ports Map,
by Olmi Hagelberg rivermap.txt
Alchemy Symbols Code Sheet
*Only* for owners of CD w/o codesheet supplied!
- Browse the directory for other DLFAQ files not listed here...
-- See: FAQ, section 2, "Technobabble". --
Publications and Documentation
- The Microprose Press Release for DARKLANDS(TM).
- The Microprose BBS/FTP-site File List (93/01/05).
- The DARKLANDS Version 7 readme file.
- The DARKLANDS Version 6 readme file.
- The DARKLANDS Version 5.1 readme file.
I Will post "ReadMe's" from other versions when I get them.
- The DARKLANDS Version 7 BANNER.DAT file.
- The DARKLANDS Version 6 BANNER.DAT file.
- The DARKLANDS Version 5.1 BANNER.DAT file.
These are modified for ASCII content only. I Will post "Banner.Dat" files from other versions when I get them.
- Browse the directory for Microprose Press Releases and Newsletters concerning Darklands...
- A complete, one peice, single-pass scan of the Darklands Map! (572Kb!)
Intended *only* for Darklands CD-ROM owners, for whom a comprehensive reference map was *not* included!
Map of Central Germany, in modern relief (390Kb!)
...from the Univ. of Texas Library Online Map Collection. A comprehensive-style map of Central Europe (112Kb)
...from the Microsoft® Encarta® Virtual Globe 1998.
The MIDI and Music Files have been moved to their own page ...
(Melody and file sources are as cited.)
- Francis is working on a Darklands Theme pack,which you will be able to download from here when it is ready.
If you have appropriate items (icons, cursors, bitmaps, screensavers, music, sounds, etc.) which you would like to
contribute, they will gladly be accepted for consideration.
- Here is a set of animated cursors sent to me by a friend Tumi's 3D Swords. (400Kb)
Anyone else who wishes to put together interesting Darklands-related items are likewise welcomed to post them here on the Darklands Domain. Please, check back for updates!
Player Saved Games
- We have listed some saved games to serve illustrative purposes.
That's all for now! -MLW :)
MicroProse, MPS Labs, and Darklands are:
copyright © 1991-1998 Microprose, Inc. - All rights reserved.
Microprose is a subsidiary of Hasbro Interactive © 1999.
For more info, send mail to:
Matthew L. Wirkkala
Back to: Darklands FAQ 2.0 | Alex's Homepage | Darklands FAQ mirror |
| the Schmerker Inn | Matt's FastFish pages | Darklands Domain |
Darklands FAQ founded July, 1995.
The DARKLANDS Domain founded 09 July, 1998...
Schmerker Inn web-site on 05 December, 1997...
|...this page last modified 12 January, 2001.|
See: EdgePlay beta!
Get: Web Driver 1.0!
requires a computer!
Eskimo North, Inc.